Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wuthering Heights (How to Fangirl)

Wuthering Heights has been controversial from its very beginning. It is two parts romance, six parts mental dysfunction, one part ghost story, and engaging from beginning to end in any adaptation. People love it because the characters are batshit crazy and extreme in ways most of us never even dream of being, yet they confront very common issues.
Heathcliff : Everyone thinks they are above me. I'll show them.
Catherine : I love the dark brooding handsome bad boy, but I love the sensitive, sweet guy who can give me a better future too.
Edgar : I like this girl, but damn, she is crazy!
Isabella : Heathcliff is so attractive and dark. I bet I could change him. He'd never hurt me. He loves me. Right?
Wuthering Heights also does something pretty unique that internet fandoms do all the time. It continues on and shows you the children of the pairings you know and love and how they interact beyond the watchful eyes of their parents. Where the first half of Wuthering Heights is damaging and harsh, passionate and brutal, the second half offers redemption. Little Catherine is sheltered and naive, but because of her father's love she is never afraid of loving after she's been hurt. Hareton is raised as a savage but his independence from being neglected allows him to think for himself and resist when he thinks something is wrong. Linton, being the product of a one-sided love and an over protective mother never learns to be anything but spoiled and selfish, and in being selfish he brings everyone together and promptly dies. Thank goodness, because he was an annoying little monster. But, this rant has gone on far too long. On to fangirling!
When I really enjoy a story or a set of characters, I usually make things and then hide them away so nobody will ever see my secret shame. I have recently been informed that this is silly and I should share the things I make, even if I don't like what I make because my passion could inspire someone else to get into the things I like.
My first creations are always fashion.


I would have made the boys too, but I only use Modcloth clothes, and they don't have a great selection for men.
And finally, I enjoy sharing my favorite books with friends who enjoy them too. And here's where I'd talk about that IF I HAD ANY.
Friends who like the book, that is. I have friends. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment