Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Long Hair Challenges and Lazy Styling

I have recently made a huge, annoying mistake.

    By recently, I mean in the last couple years, but I didn't feel the full force of my poor choices until recently. I decided to not cut my hair until 2016. Up until recently, it was no big deal. I've had long hair before and long hair gives you more choices for hair style so it seemed like a situation I could handle without much trouble.
That was until this started to happen.
        Having your hair pulled is crappy enough when someone is leaning on your hair without realizing it, but this?!?! It makes it so you not only can't move your head, but when you try, it yanks at your scalp as well as having a weird foreign tickly nonsense in your armpit!
         Other than little momentary annoyances like that, having long hair is actually pretty nice. You can put it up and it looks great, or leave it down  and look like a god damn fairy princess. When it's bugging you you can get it out of your way with just a clip instead of a million pins that stab you in the head and then get lost forever.
        Long hair leaves more worry about damaging hair. If you plan to keep it longer, that means every curling iron, every straightener, and every blow dryer is the enemy. My issue with this is that while my hair is naturally curly, when it's long, it's too heavy for my curls to be pretty and defined like I like them without my curling iron. Some Pinteresting around showed me the ways of the headband curls, but I couldn't find a detailed tutorial anywhere so I put off trying it for a long time.
         Now that I've tried it and been replacing my curling iron with it for a few months, I have stronger, softer hair and no split ends and I wish I'd tried it sooner. Now that I've got it down to a science, who better to do a detailed tutorial than me? Probably someone who bothers to have photo editing software and the foresight to plan a post in advance rather than posting on a whim, but still I press on!
First, section damp hair off into two parts at the natural part (or usual part you use when styling your hair) and put them over your shoulders.
 Next, take a tight-ish stretchy headband and put it around your head over your hair from the start of your hairline to the base of your skull.
 Starting with the smaller side, section out a piece of hair (small or large depending on how large you want your curls to be) and then place your finger and thumb under the headband behind the hair. Put the piece of hair through your finger and thumb and then pull it through and under the headband.
 It should look something like this. Then taking the same section of hair, add another piece of hair and repeat the process until you finish the first side.
 Halfway done!
 Then the other side
 Remember to keep the two groups apart in the back so that they don't get tangled into one big horrible loop of hair
If you start with almost-dry damp hair, you can take it out in the morning and have perfect curls. It's not pokey like curlers so it's comfy to sleep in, it keeps your hair from looping around your arm in your sleep, and it won't damage your hair like a curling iron. 
 They wind up looking like this.
Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment