Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Don't Be Afraid, It's Only Surgery

I missed a day, but it's my first slip up an I have a good reason! I was sending my third molars on a permanent vacation

           I had been putting it off as long as I could, but when I couldn't go a meal without biting my cheek I figured it was time for them to go. So I woke up at 5 yesterday morning before my surgery for no apparent reason. I was trying so hard not to get worked up, but I had never been put under anesthesia before so I was scared that I wouldn't react to it well. In order to get rid of my nerves I tried showered, braided my hair, picked out my outfit and got a before picture.
And I still had two hours to kill.
             We got a little lost trying to find the place but we got there just in time. When they called me back and hooked me up to the machine that shows your blood pressure and pulse, even though I felt totally calm the machine still said my heart rate was high. 
              Then came the scary part. The doctor stuck me with the needle for the IV, put some stuff in, and that was the last thing I remembered. I woke up walking down the hall to get to the car, where I took the after picture.
             That's cotton in my mouth, not swelling. We got home and I still couldn't feel my chin so while Dave was filling my prescriptions I looked up why that might be. Turns out, if can last for months and it can be a sign of serious nerve damage. When Dave got home I was crying because I thought I'd never be able to eat right again. He thought the anesthesia hadn't worn off, but I actually felt normal as soon as we were home. 
             I had a lot of luck with my surgery. My wisdom teeth were coming in straight, the anesthesia wore off really fast, I don't have any swelling today, the pain medication only makes me sleepy, not nauseous, my IV fell out but I didn't wake up  so they were able to get one in  my lower arm pretty quickly, I guess it must have had something to do with my lucky shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment