Friday, August 8, 2014

Sleepless in Gravity Falls

          So when I decided to stay up all night to fix my sleep schedule, I figured starting a new show would give me a reason to stay awake. I turned to Tumblr for inspiration because being on that website as often as I am, I know way more about shows I've never seen than I know the names of some of my relatives. Informed choices rarely disappoint, and finding Gravity Falls was no different. It has been suggested to me that my sleepy explanations should be documented and read to me after I have slept, so I'm giving it a shot.
           Gravity Falls is like a weird, foresty mash-up of Welcome to Night Vale and Regular Show. This could be spoilery, but I doubt I'll reveal anything big because I haven't seen anything that big. So these twins, Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony (Mabel Pines) and Dib from Invader Zim (Dipper Pines) get sent from their presumably screen-filled lives in the city to Gravity Falls, Oregon. I've never been to Oregon, but from the forests I've seen, the animation of the place is pretty authent-ish. They go to live with their Grunkle (great uncle) Stan who runs a touristy cryptozoology shop full of clever lies and funny fakes. Dipper feels unsettled in the forest and with good reason! While his Grunkle sells fakes, the forest has real paranormal beings and hilarity and hijinks ensue. His Grunkle Stan never believes his tall tales, but he's like the only one who doesn't in the group. Mabel believes him after an encounter of her own almost becoming Gnome Queen. There's Wendy who works in the shop and is lumberjacky and sarcastic and Dipper is super in love with her. There's Gideon (is ANYONE nice ever named Gideon? Ever? It's like authors just say, hey I have a snobby, pretentious, power-hungry character, got any good names? Oh Gideon! Of course!) who is in love with Mabel and is basically a short, fat, Southern Draco Malfoy. There is Soos, who is a big helpful giant humanized beaver. Gopher? Mole?
You tell me.
And at some point Mabel gets a pig sidekick. Is that everyone? Who knows? I'm tired.
Fun show.

No comments:

Post a Comment